Don’t let the movies fool you. There are so many other things to do in Las Vegas aside from gambling, getting wasted, stealing a tiger, getting arrested, and/or all of the above. The movies and the media give my town a bad rap. It really isn’t all that crazy here. Well, not all the time, anyway.
Las Vegas is just as glamorous, interesting and exciting as any other big city in the U.S. In fact, Sin City is rated as one of the world’s best places to visit. And, yes, fashion DOES exist in Las Vegas.
Planning to visit Vegas anytime soon? Then here is my top list of things to do in Las Vegas aside from gambling:
1. Shop. Of course you expected me to say that, didn’t you? As far as I am concerned Las Vegas has the BEST shopping ever. Where else in the world will you find a handful of Dior boutiques all within a two-mile radius? From thrift stores unknowingly filled with designers like Stuart Weitzman and Isabella Fiore to huge affordable fashion stores like H&M and Forever21 to world-class luxury shopping at Crystals at City Center, Las Vegas has every budget covered with amazing shopportunities. You would be a fool to not take advantage of it.
2. People watch. For some reason, Las Vegas attracts the eccentric. Living here, I’ve pretty much seen it all – mimes at bus stops, Elvis driving a motorcycle down the Strip, Dennis Rodman jumping onto a bar and begging for attention…. I mean, you can’t pay for this kind of entertainment. Las Vegas also attracts the chic. I’ve seen some gorgeous fashionistas traipsing through the malls wearing the cutest shoes, Tiesto shopping at John Varvatos and Bill and Giuliana Rancic take in a Vegas show. You don’t even have to go in search of good people watching. Just grab a drink. Find a comfortable spot. Keep your eyes peeled, and watch.
3. Eat. Name your grub and Las Vegas has got it. Never mind that we’re in the desert. Nothing is impossible in Las Vegas. Of course, freshness comes with a price. So if you’re looking for fish that was caught that day, expect to pay a lot for it. But also know that it will be so worth it! If you’re on the Strip, you can’t get a bad meal – and you’ll be able to get one 24 hours a day (unlike other vacation cities). But if you wander off the Strip, you’re taking your chances. So get a recommendation from a seasoned local or a reliable concierge before you head off.
4. Watch a show. Las Vegas has it all: international pop stars, men dressed like female international pop stars, women dancing topless, and even hit Broadway shows at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts, which just opened a little over a year ago. No other city has the variety of live entertainment that Las Vegas does. Whatever your entertainment taste level, you’ll find it in Vegas.
5. Get married. How can you visit Las Vegas and not get married? It’s just too tempting! Even I renewed my vows with Elvis officiating the ceremony, not long after I moved here. Las Vegas even makes it easy for you with drive-thru weddings performed in the comfort of your car at A Little White Wedding Chapel (1301 Las Vegas Blvd. S.) for a mere $40.
The list of things to do in Las Vegas aside from gambling could go on and on. But hopefully I’ve given you a nice start. And on your visit to Las Vegas, I hope you give this fun town a real chance to win you over as it did me.