Don’t listen to the cynics and pessimists. Resolutions are good for you. Create some for yourself that are easy to attain and help you develop healthier habits. Below are five beauty resolutions that I suggest you make for the new year.
- Drink more water. You can invest hundreds of dollars into the most luxurious skincare products, but they won’t work if you’re not drinking enough water. The BEST way to keep skin youthful and hydrated is to consume at least 10 cups of water per day. That’s my secret weapon. If you don’t like the taste of water, infuse it with berries, lemons, mint and/or cucumber. That’s what I do.
- Get more sleep. As is the case with water, you can purchase and use as much under eye cream as you want, but it won’t work if you’re getting less than seven hours of sleep a day, every day. The real cure to puffy eyes, bags beneath your eyes, and those unattractive under eye dark circles is night after night of restful sleep. Plenty of beauty rest is another one of my secret weapons. Can’t sleep? First try simple remedies, such as drinking chamomile tea or warm milk before going to bed. You could also try aromatherapy (lavender fragrance puts me at ease and helps me to sleep), a bath or soothing music. Even an orgasm (self induced or via intercourse) is also a great way to fall asleep fast. But if none of that works, then I implore you to see a doctor. A lack of sleep will not only put you on the fast track to looking old, but it’s also bad for your sanity and happiness.
- Wear sunscreen. Even if you’re not a sun worshiper (and nowadays you shouldn’t be), you’re exposed to the sun every time you leave your home. So use a face cream that contains SPF 15 or higher and use it daily.
- Frame your face with the right eyebrow shape. The shape of your face dictates the shape of your brow. Leading permanent makeup artist Karen Betts has worked on the brows of stars and celebrities. Below is her guide to shaping your face effortlessly with the correct brows.
Heart: Due to an emphasis on the upper portion of the face, and the small jaw line, it is important to have well-groomed brows. A curved brow will balance with your chin and achieve a youthful look.
Square: Softly rounded brows are the ideal solution to an angular face. Be sure to create a sharp peak at the top of the brow for them to appear stronger.
Round: I have a round face, so I wear a high arch brow. An angular style of brow helps to make a round face appear longer and slimmer. Avoid rounded brows as these will only add volume to the face.
Diamond: Soft, curved eyebrows will reduce the widest part of the face and soften the angular look. Be careful not to arch them too severely as this will accentuate your narrow jaw.
- Wash your makeup off before going to bed. Seriously. Your pores (and your pillow cases) hate it when you go to bed with your makeup on. In fact, according to experienced facial therapist Amanda Elias, the brains behind effective yet affordable skincare brand Bravura London, you should actually cleanse TWICE in the evening. “One cleanse will never be enough to remove all the dirt, oil, makeup, SPF and dead skin that accumulates on our skin during the day,” advises Elias. Use a cream cleanser or a wash, not just wipes.
Now those are some easy resolutions that anyone can keep, right? Even just selecting one of my suggested beauty resolutions will be very good for you. You deserve to feel good about your skin and you deserve to win the battle against aging.